The Earth League assesses and synthesizes existing information, conducts research to fill critical gaps in our knowledge, and communicates its findings to decision makers and other stakeholders. It emphasizes a holistic approach to complex system analysis and real-world problem solving through strategic and scientifically underpinned planetary management for the advancement of human wellbeing and equity.
Crucial topics of focus include:
- the complex dynamics of the physical Earth system;
- functionality and resilience of biosphere diversity;
- world food production and global public health in the 21st century;
- planetary commons and planetary boundaries;
- integrated mitigation-adaptation strategies;
- climate-compatible energy mixes;
- novel concepts of urbanity and rurality;
- equity under global change; and
- induced innovation and transformation.
Taken together, the cognitive agenda aims at giving answers to some of the most pressing questions humankind is facing today.
The Earth League looks to deliver its insights through a range of products and formats: feasibility studies requiring only seed money from internal or external sources; fast-track studies as solicited by third parties; workshops and conferences for advancing frontier fields; in-depth studies and assessments that transcend the means of the individual partners; co-development of simulation instruments; and model inter-comparisons, among others.